Detection and Classification of Laminae in Balloon-borne; Ozonesonde Profiles: Application to the Long Term Record from; Boulder, Colorado Journal Article uri icon



  • Abstract. We quantify ozone variability in the upper troposphere and lower stratosphere (UTLS) by investigating lamination features in balloon measurements of ozone mixing ratio and potential temperature. Laminae are defined as stratified variations in ozone that meet or exceed a 10 % threshold for deviations from a basic state vertical profile of ozone. The basic state profiles are derived for each sounding using smoothing methods applied within a vertical coordinate system relative to the WMO tropopause. We present results of this analysis for the 25-year record of ozonesonde measurements from Boulder, Colorado. The mean number of ozone laminae identified per sounding is about 9±2 (1σ). The root-mean-square relative amplitude is 20 %, and laminae with much larger amplitudes (> 40 %) are seen in ~ 2 % of the profiles. The vertical scale of detected ozone laminae typically ranges between 0.5 and 1.2 km. The lamina occurrence frequency varies significantly with altitude and is largest within ~ 2 km of the tropopause. Overall, ozone laminae identified in our analysis account for more than one third of the total intraseasonal variability in ozone. A correlation technique between ozone and potential temperature is used to classify the subset of ozone laminae that are associated with gravity wave (GW) phenomena, which accounts for 28 % of all laminar ozone features. The remaining 72 % of laminae arise from non-gravity wave (NGW) phenomena. There are differences in the both the vertical distribution and seasonality of GW versus NGW ozone laminae that are linked to the contrast in main generating mechanisms for each laminae type.;

publication date

  • October 4, 2018

has restriction

  • green

Date in CU Experts

  • November 15, 2020 2:32 AM

Full Author List

  • Minschwaner K; Giljum AT; Manney GL; Petropavlovskikh I; Johnson BJ; Jordan AF

author count

  • 6

Other Profiles